Solarpunk − Radical Hope

June 23, 2023 greenzine 0

“I am not suggesting that we ought to ignore yesterday’s news. Rather, I am demanding that we start talking creatively, yet seriously, about today and tomorrow. We want to have a choice other than denial or depression. We want to channel our outrage and our dread and our exhaustion.” Alexandria […]

Clive’s Last Rant. The Conversation Goes Sourdough

June 10, 2023 greenzine 0

PETER CURRIER Clive Mason is a TrentU sustainable studies grad with a young family who turned to contracting after graduation. George Guessworthy is retired local volunteer for a Peterborough advocacy group, Climate Crunch. They have met at Clive’s place a couple of times for Climate Crunch and now George is […]

The Dome In The Square. Peterborough Changes

April 28, 2023 greenzine 1

CHERYL LYON Grandmother Power “It’s knowing what our children are heading for that gets me out of bed every morning!” That was my grandmother talking, my kookum. Me, I was just home from getting my PhD in physics at a European university. She had detected my cocky certainty about just […]

Bicycling Gets A Boost From The Cycling Master Plan

April 23, 2023 greenzine 1

SUE SAUVE – Perhaps it is no accident that bicycles were designed to only pedal forward. They are bringing us to the future we are trying to create. Bicycles are a pillar of health for urban dwellers and a cornerstone of sustainability. The City of Peterborough’s new Cycling Master Plan […]

Take Action on the Garbage Fiasco

April 17, 2023 greenzine 0

GÜNTHER SCHUBERT – For as long as humans have roamed the planet we have created garbage. Away back then, it might have been a pile of animal bones, vegetable rinds or worn clothes. For the last one hundred or so years, we have created piles of plastic, glass, paper, rubber […]

Trent Students Rock Their Research

April 10, 2023 greenzine 0

50+ STUDENTS! 32+ PROJECTS! 27+ HOSTS! CHERYL LYON – A jam-packed space, a loud buzz of excitement at the Trent U Student Centre on 21 March as the Trent Community Research Centre (TCRC) celebrated more than 25 years of undergraduate students’ community research. The Greenzine was there to find out […]

Councillor Cado: CANOE Lessons

March 24, 2023 greenzine 0

Part 6 in the Councillor Cado series CHERYL LYON – On “Councillor Cado Part 5: The Night of The Banner,” we left the Watershed Peterborough Councillors on the verge of a vote for an urban farm or a housing development on a vacant piece of land. Emotions were running high. […]

The Night of The Banner

March 10, 2023 greenzine 0

Part 5 in the Councillor Cado series CHERYL LYON – In Part 4, “The Big Heat”, the Watershed Peterborough Councillors were meeting in the throes of an unprecedented and deadly heat wave. A UN report in 2022 that had found “no credible pathway to 1.5C in place” had come true. […]